I would like to share with you some of the benefits of pursuing computer programming as a career, but before we explore these benefits let us look at a quick definition of computer programming.
There are indeed many definitions of computer programming, but to keep things as simple and relevant as possible I would define computer programming as that skill which empowers us to communicate with computers in a language which they understand in order that they can perform specific tasks for us.
Everyday examples of these tasks would be the running of a spreadsheet program, a word processor or an email program. For example a spreadsheet program has to be loaded and activated by a computer before we can use it. When it is loaded and activated the computer is said to be “running” the program.
Hence a computer programmer’s job would be to write the instructions which comprise the spreadsheet program in a language understood by the computer. This set of written instructions is commonly referred to as a software application or computer program.
Because computers are a lot smaller cheaper and more numerous than that which obtained a couple of decades ago, we find that there are many more potential clients who need various applications.
More importantly with the widespread availability of the internet a lot of these computers are connected together. This is why a career as a computer programmer is definitely worthy of your consideration.
However having said all this we must remember that computer programming is not for everyone, but if you do fit the bill then a whole new world awaits you and you will find yourself limited mainly by your own creativity and imagination.
Now here are some of the benefits of pursuing computer programming as a career.
1. As a computer programmer there is generally a strong demand and hence a higher likelihood of either getting a job or remaining in employment if you already have one.
2. While working in this space you will generally find that flexible working hours is an option.
3. There is in many cases the potential ability to work almost anywhere rather than having to commute.
4. The computer programming space is generally a results driven environment rather than being politically driven – although we can never completely escape politics because we are human.
5. It can be quite lucrative as a career to pursue.
6. There will frequently be the opportunity to work in a team with other like-minded individuals.
7. You will have the freedom to work on your own for extended periods of time when necessary or desired.
8. You will have the mobility to move around various industries depending on your preference and also where you want to live.
We have only scratched the surface here because there are many more benefits to explore. Actually I will write a few more articles to cover some of these points in greater detail so please watch out for them!